Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Israel is pulling thousands of troops from Gaza as combat focuses on enclave’s main southern city -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Israel is pulling thousands of troops from Gaza as combat focuses on enclave’s main southern city
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:29
TEL AVIV,NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center Israel (AP) — Thousands of Israeli soldiers are being shifted out of the Gaza Strip, the military said Monday, in the first significant drawdown of troops since the war began as forces continued to bear down on the main city in the southern half of the enclave.
The troop movement could signal that fighting is being scaled back in some areas of Gaza, particularly in the northern half where the military has said it is close to assuming operational control. Israel has been under pressure from its chief ally, the United States, to begin to switch to lower-intensity fighting.
Word of the drawdown came ahead of a visit by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to the region and after the Biden administration bypassed Congress for the second time this month to approve an emergency weapons sale to Israel.
But fierce fighting continued in other areas of Gaza, especially the southern city Khan Younis and central areas of the territory. Israel has pledged to charge ahead until its war aims have been achieved, including dismantling Hamas, which has ruled Gaza for 16 years.
The military said in a statement Monday that five brigades, or several thousand troops, were being taken out of Gaza in the coming weeks for training and rest.
In a briefing Sunday that first announced the troop withdrawal without specifying how many forces were leaving, army spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari did not say whether the decision meant Israel was launching a new phase of the war.
“The objectives of the war require prolonged fighting, and we are preparing accordingly,” he said.
Israel has vowed to crush Hamas’ military and governing capabilities in its war, which was sparked by the militant group’s Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel, which killed 1,200 people. Roughly 240 people were taken hostage.
Israel responded with a blistering air, ground and sea offensive that has killed more than 21,900 people in Gaza, two-thirds of them women and children, according to the Health Ministry in Gaza, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants in its count.
Israel says more than 8,000 militants have been killed, without providing evidence. It blames Hamas for the high civilian death toll, saying the militants embed within residential areas, including schools and hospitals.
The war has displaced some 85% of Gaza’s 2.3 million residents, sending swells of people seeking shelter in Israeli-designated safe areas that the military has nevertheless bombed. Palestinians are left with a sense that nowhere is safe in the tiny enclave.
BATTLES IN THE SOUTH
In Khan Younis, where Israel is believed to have thousands of troops, residents reported airstrikes and shelling in the west and center of the city. The military and the militant group Islamic Jihad reported clashes in the area.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said on X, formerly Twitter, that it transported several dead and injured following a strike late Sunday in the Beach Street in Khan Younis. It posted nighttime footage showing medics carrying casualties to ambulances.
Combat was also reported in urban refugee camps in central Gaza, where Israel expanded its offensive last week.
“It’s our routine: bombings, massacres and martyrs,” said Saeed Moustafa, a Palestinian from the Nuseirat camp. He said he could hear sporadic explosions and gunfire in Nuseirat and in the nearby Bureij and Maghazi camps.
“Just as we speak, there is a big explosion not far from my home,” he said in a phone call Monday morning.
Gaza’s Health Ministry said Monday that 156 people were killed in the past day.
The Israeli military meanwhile said an airstrike killed Adel Mismah, a regional commander of Hamas’ elite Nukhba forces, in the central city of Deir al-Balah.
Hamas fired a large barrage of rockets toward Israel, including at its commercial hub Tel Aviv, as the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve.
‘A DIFFERENT MODE OF OPERATION’
Israel has said the war will last for months. It has argued that it needs time to clear Gaza of militants’ weapons and infrastructure and to prevent Hamas from being able to stage more attacks. Israel has resisted international calls for a long-term cease-fire, saying doing so would amount to a victory for Hamas.
Shlomo Brom, a retired brigadier general once in charge of strategic planning in the Israeli military, said the troop changes may be a result of the U.S. pressure. He said it indicated a shift in how Israel was conducting the war in some areas.
“The war is not stopping,” said Brom. “It is the beginning of a different mode of operation.”
Israelis still largely support the wars aims, even as the cost in soldiers’ lives is mounting.
Over the weekend, the military said that of the soldiers killed since the ground operation began — as of Monday, 172 in total — 18 were killed by friendly fire while another 11 died by weapons or equipment malfunctions or accidents.
___
Jobain reported from Rafah, Gaza Strip and Magdy from Cairo.
___
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (915)
Related
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Dollar Tree is closing 600 Family Dollar stores in the US, and the locations are emerging
- For the first time, Russia admits it's in a state of war with Ukraine
- U.K. man gets 37 years for fatally poisoning couple with fentanyl, rewriting their will
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- SEC struggles show Greg Sankey should keep hands off of NCAA Tournament expansion
- Kim Mulkey blasts reporter, threatens lawsuit for what she calls a 'hit piece'
- March Madness expert predictions: Our picks for today's Round 2 games
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- This Size-Inclusive Jumpsuit is on Sale for Just $25 During Amazon's Big Spring Sale
Ranking
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Georgia running back Trevor Etienne arrested on DUI and reckless driving charges
- Shawn Johnson's Kids Are Most Excited For This Part of Their Trip to the 2024 Olympics
- If LSU keeps playing like this, the Tigers will be toast, not a title team
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- The Highs and Lows of Oprah Winfrey's 50-Year Weight Loss Journey
- Shawn Johnson's Kids Are Most Excited For This Part of Their Trip to the 2024 Olympics
- Kenya Moore, Madison LeCroy, & Kandi Burruss Use a Scalp Brush That’s $6 During the Amazon Big Sale
Recommendation
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
18-year-old charged with vehicular homicide in crash that killed a woman and 3 children in a van
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion to oust House Speaker Mike Johnson over spending deal
Trump invitation to big donors prioritizes his legal bills over RNC
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Search for 6-year-old girl who fell into rain-swollen creek now considered recovery, not rescue
TikTok’s Favorite Hair Wax Stick Is Only $7 Right Now: Get Influencer-Level Sleek Ponytails and Buns
Shawn Johnson's Kids Are Most Excited For This Part of Their Trip to the 2024 Olympics